WHAT WE OFFER
- Sensemaking within complex systems, through narrative analysis and implementing human sensor networks.
- Decision analysis and support for complex interventions and systems designs.
- Evaluation of health designs and technology innovations.
- Results Story Development (Theory of Change, performance measures, narrative approaches).
- Design and implementation of actionable independent & internal evaluations.
- Production of infographics, communications and media for identifying and understanding emergent trends and to report on results.
- Skills development and training.
- Project management.
- Information systems development (including social media, web interfaces and mobile applications development).
We believe that the most exciting health and development innovations lie on the boundary of theory and the unknown. Not so unknown that they're hopeless, but not enough theory to predict the results of our decisions. Systems at this boundary often rely on emergent behaviour, which are the high-level effects that arise indirectly from low-level interactions.
When designing and intervening at this boundary, the challenge lies not in constructing the system, but in understanding it, to learn and adapt over time so that real measured results can be achieved. In the absence of theory, we must develop an intuition to guide our decisions. The design process is thus one of exploration and discovery.
How do we explore? If you move to a new city, you might learn the territory by walking around. Or you might be guided by a map. But far more effective than either is both together — combining ground-level experience with higher-level guidance.
This is the space that we love to play in. We have the tools and expertise to measure and learn together, from experience on the ground, to mapping and providing guidance.
EXAMPLES OF OUR WORK
The 9Needs Results Lab has contributed to changes in how monitoring and evaluation are undertaken in the international development field, ranging from innovative approaches to data collection, to visualisations and software solutions.
International Health Partnership (IHP+) - 2009 to 2013
Set up and led IHP+Results since 2009, as an independent mechanism commissioned by the IHP+ global secretariat to provide annual monitoring and reporting the results and progress of the International Health Partnership. This initiative has pioneered the use of Performance Scorecards for transparent reporting of results that are based on evidence, to promote public and mutual accountability within the international development sector.
World Health Organisation - 2012
Dynamic Indicators Dashboard for the independent Expert Review Group (iERG) of the Commission on Information and Accountability for Women’s and Children’s health.
International Evaluation for scale-up of capacity-building for HIV and TB care through the Integrated Management of Adolescent and Adult Illnesses (IMAI).
Five-year institutional evaluation, in partnership with ITAD
University of Edinburgh
Monitoring and evaluation advisory support to the Global Health Academy
For more information or if you would like to discuss a potential project with us, please get in touch.